20081111

EEE and Firefox Full Screen

I found that this little hack for your ~/.mozilla/firefox/[profile]/chrome/userChrome.css file greatly improved the usability of Firefox on the EEE PC. It makes the bookmarks toolbar, as well as the menubar (File, Edit, etc) visible from full screen mode simply by moving the mouse up to the top of the screen. When the mouse is moved away, all toolbars are autohidden, giving you that great full screen browsing ability!

#navigator-toolbox:hover > #PersonalToolbar,
#navigator-toolbox:hover > #toolbar-menubar
{
visibility: visible !important;
}

Many thanks to sewpafly for the above chrome fragment!

There is one shortcoming of this that I've already noticed. Namely, when I move the mouse up to the top of the screen, and then above a tab to close it, all of the toolbars autohide before I can close the tab. Normally, this is no problem for closing a tab (Ctrl+w), but for closing other tabs, no shortcut key exists yet, so it's only possible to do by mouse :P

This reminds me of two shortcut key proposals that I had way back when:

1) Ctrl+Shift+w - close all other tabs
2) Ctrl+Shift+PgUp/PgDown - move tab right / left

Those are both 'borrowed' from the Gnome Terminal, but I think they apply quite well to Firefox too.

No comments: