20080523

Improperly Credited Article on Slashdot

Slashdot is a funny place - don't get me wrong, I love to read it. The only problem I've ever had with it is that they edited the OpenMoko article I wrote on their site, and now someone else is claiming to have written it (kdawson).

Originally when I wrote the article, it was credited to 'Anonymous Coward'. I did that on purpose so that I wouldn't make anyone in the OpenMoko community offended, seeing as how they may have wanted to make a post themselves. I just wanted to beat them to it!

In my opinion, the article should have remained credited to 'Anonymous Coward' as opposed to kdawson, whoever the hell that is. Apparently kdawson believes that it is completely fine to assign credit of a work to someone who had nothing to do with the work at all.

What I find even funnier, is that I made a comment to the post I wrote only a week after noticing it was no longer attributed to 'Anonymous Coward'. Then the editors changed it back. Now, approximately 6 months later, someone else has again inappropriately taken credit for another's work.

What's the lesson in all of this? Always post under your real name if you intend to have something show up in the slashdot headlines. I guess I shouldn't feel bad then for copying the Slashdot logo to use with this post :)

No comments: